Featured...

Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information...

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Far Beyond The Dead End by Saikat Baksi




Blurb (from the jacket):


They called it the 'mound of dead'. In other words, Mohenjo-Daro!

But beneath those layers of ruin, once flourished a town pulsating with life. There lived Koli with her enigmatic charm, Sindhu with an eyeful of dreams, Girad with his raging passion, the decrepit priest prophesying the doom and many others. They loved, hated and chased their fixations in manic rage. A series of mysterious deaths ensued from such frenetic hunt for lust, riches and glory. Yet, the inexorable game of destruction did not cease to play, until they ventured Far Beyond the Dead End only to be discovered under a heap of rubble four thousand years later.







My take on the book:
It seems like ages have passed since I read a book by reading it's plot. Yeah, I read the plot of this book before hurriedly plunging into the starting pages.

Historical fiction. That's what I have gathered from the blurb. Frankly, HFs have always been a downers for me. Apart from this book, I had a huge pile to review, rather I chose this book. Why? I don't know. It must probably be the cover. It is too dramatic, I agree, but there was something awkwardly appealing, so here I am, having read the book in just a couple of days.

I must really appreciate the author for maintaining such a even pace of the story, due to which even History seemed not so bad. Apart from that, the author had well-researched into the ruined city of Mohenjo-Daro. Seriously, my knowledge about the place or Indus Valley Civilization, in general, is nil. It is not a surprise I used to sleep through my History classes back in my school. And my grades in the subjects were straining to hang onto the pass border. All those years, ill-sounding names made me dizzy. Hence, I know nothing of Mohenjo-Daro. Well, almost nothing...

And this book had made me learn about it. The very subject of the area had this fictional feel to it, as if all the facts around it were fictitious and overall, the History itself is a work of fiction! The conspiracy was too much for my mind. Learning enough information, I continued reading the book and the read was smoother than before! It is not particularly important that you know the History, but believe me you will enjoy it even more if you have your facts right.

Overall, it was a good-paced, creative story, which indeed needs a bit of editorial polishing and the author's talent to be able to picture the entire tragedy of the end of the civilization was pretty amazing...

                 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Far Beyond the Dead

Author: Saikat Baksi

ISBN (edition I've read): 9789382665120

Rating:

Read between: 20-06-2014 to 21-06-2014

Reviewed for: Arup Bose & Saikat Baksi

Publishers: Srishti Publishers

Pages: 228

MRP: ₹ 150

The best deal of this book could be found here:  

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like: