Featured...

Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information... Click on the image for more information...

Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


Foreword:


There were two reasons for me to get off of the tbr spree and reading this book,

  • Primarily because Srinivas, the other author of the blog, had gifted me this book - and Looking for Alaska - for my birthday, which was somewhere about Sept of 2013.
  • And also, because this book has been film and is scheduled - or did it already? - to release this year.
Hence, I started this book...

This book is the winner of GoodReads Choice Awards 2012 for Best Young Adult.

From the very first page of the book, I didn't feel about the book. As usual, I didn't go through the blurb and don't know what to expect of the story. I just wanted to know why he, Srinivas, had gifted me, of all the books, this one. And why so many people love this book. Especially the author and his books.

Blurb (from the jacket):

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, 
The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning author John Green's most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.

My take on the book:
From the very moment I laid my eyes on the cover of this book, which was sky-blue with two hovering clouds, one below the other, I found something spell-binding about. Perhaps, it could have been the font in which the title is depicted. Very peculiar and off-stream. And interesting, indeed.

The entire book is double-space, short chapters, easily words and overall, more whiteness. It wouldn't take a lot time for me to read it. Also, one of my friend completed it in ''little more than two hours!".

Getting to the story of the book. It is exactly as mentioned in the blurb. A love story between a cancer-stricken kid and a cancer-survivor kid. That is it. As simple as that.

I always believed that all the contemporary authors like Durjoy Datta, Ravinder Singh, etc, write Young Adult. No. Not when John Green writes Young Adult. I won't agree, no way. If something like TFiOS as insightful, as humourous, as bold, as romantic, as fascinating, is tagged Young Adult, then I thing very few books are worth that tag. So beautiful is the book. Every exchanged leaves behind a etch in one's mind. There were so many instances when I read the part, laughed at it, re-read it, re-laughed, read it to someone, anyone beside me and laugh together with them.

I had recently watched this movie, The man with the iron fists. It was all spilled-blood, broken bones, gore in short. But now I could say this book has more death than in that movie. Death not in the literal sense, but metaphorically. Not that there is no death at all. There were characters in the story who keep on dying every now and then. But I have read no book that talks to death so boldly. And beautifully.

There are so many facets, I love about the book, but there is a negative one, too. The story's abrupt ending. Yeah, it could be depicting a more deeper meaning - like portraying An Imperial Affliction - and all, but I  think a more better ending, perhaps a epilogue of sorts would have been helpful and I would have given it a whole five stars.

I give five stars, anyway.

The mention of An Imperial Affliction reminds me of one thing. There was few band, author and novel, which were fictitious mentioned in this novel that literally sent me crawling sniffing and searching for their factufulness. I stumbling upon the same question asked by various other. After all, I wasn't first to be fooled by the author. However, it had a good feel about it.

Overall, the book was very pleasant read. A quick read indeed. Don't read it for the sake of romance or just for that there were so many people who read. Read it for the sake of the book. And also for your own sake. A reader of any kind will fall in love with this book from the very first page...

                 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: The Fault in Our Stars

Author: John Green

ISBN (edition I've read): 9780141345659

Rating:

Read between: 13-03-2014 to 15-03-2014

Publishers: Penguin Publishers

Pages: 316

MRP: ₹ 399

The best deal of this book could be found here:  

1 comment:

You might also like: